Friday, June 18, 2010

WEEK 1





This has been a week of many firsts for me! The beginning of my adventures started on Saturday. I stayed in Richmond that night at the Delta Airport hotel. It was UFC night and there were fighters everywhere...luckily i managed to avoid confrontation for the weekend. My Flight was 10am Sunday morning. It was my first time flying as well as my first time away from home for this length of time. Basically an emotional train wreck the night before.

I took a bunch of pictures and videos on my flight. I got to sit right over the wing of the plane on the first flight to Port Hardy and Bella Bella, then from there we took the sketchy 70 year old float plane to the lodge. On the way to KPL I was able to sneak my way into the "cockpit" with pilot Brian. In total the journey to the lodge was 2.5 hours. It was amazing to see all the lakes, rivers, and glaciers.

The lodge is more beautiful then pictures can describe. It rained for the first 2 days at the lodge. Once the rest of the crew arrived we were able to go to a local whale watching facility and had awesome BBQ with all the staff together. The next few days consisted of final touches,setup, and department orientations. The unique thing about KPL is that each year the resort is towed by tugboats from Prince Rupert to Barnard Harbor. It takes about 50 hours to get the both lodges, docks and boats to our spot tucked behind Princess Royal Island. Its almost like opening up a brand new resort every season.

The day before opening most of us had a half day off. A great day for a fishing derby! So into the boats we went and the competition began. We spent about 4.5 hours out on the water in an area called Eclipse. There were eagles, humpback whales, orcas, and wildlife everywhere! To top it off me and Chels were able to hook two chinook salmon. I caught the first fish for out boat and it weighed about 13lbs....hers was 16. Although it was a valiant effort, we lost the derby. Troy took the win with a 20 lb spring.

Our first group of guests arrive friday. Its a group of 12 consisting of 4 that are staff and family. Should be good times. We have a great team here and I look forward to their arrival!

No comments:

Post a Comment